Sunday, May 1, 2011

helping the homeless

I went down to MREST this past Friday. This was my fourth visit since this past winter. On my first visit I cried my eyes out all the way home after witnessing homeless babies that had no socks. I was not expecting to see homeless babies. I, as most people think of, is homeless men & woman. In the past there was a more negative thought on the homeless, but now in today's economy, it is becoming more and more common. On my 3rd visit I had the chance to talk to one of the men in the program. He was homeless, but just that, he was without a home. He works at a local Meijer store, he is saving money, he was what he thought , to  be about 4 weeks from being able to get his own aapartment. It was then I realized that the stereotype of homeless individuals was officially out of my head. While I was still wanting to donate my husband & my old clothes, I also have a huge focus on making sure the babies are taken care of. Things that we don't think of, like diapers, socks, stroller (the babies only home).  On my visit this past Friday, I was happy to donate a total of 3 strollers. 2 boxes of diapers, 2 car seats, and a bunch of clothes for men and woman. The looks of amazement and gratitude was priceless when they saw all they I had. All I could think was, if they were so thankful, then how much more thankful would the homeless be? This opportunity to help others came to me this past winter, and I am so glad that it did. I am going make it a goal for me to start physically volunteering , not only at the MCREST building, but at the various churches that host these wonderful people. I have learned such a great lesson from this experience, and I pray that others learn from my  good Samaritan attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment