Wednesday, April 20, 2011

facebook & the SAHM

i can't help but wonder if the social network has hindered the productivity of motherhood. It is not only facebook & twitter, but the Internet in general. We all joke about those 50's wife's that did it all. I can't help but wonder when we all became slightly feminists. Don't get me wrong, I am more than thrilled about woman's rights, and the glass ceiling beginning to break all over the world, but at the same time I think that with all of it came miscommunicated  roles in the home for moms. We all strive to work & stay home to raise our wonderful children. Clean our lovely houses, and be the best wife ever. Well first thing first, work was mot such a priority for mothers in the past. Second mothers were not distracted by this socialization online. They didn't blog about their pregnancies, they didn't update status on house disasters or bad behavior by the children. They dealt with it, lived it and with a smile on their face (even if it was fake). That said, I don't think that all of the Internet & motherhood is bad - for a while I was addicted to my moms group that i found on meetup.com. i love the ease of googling parenting help tools. BUT with all of this non face to face interaction, we have lost human contact & closeness with our neighbors. geez, I hate to sound like a senior citizen, but whats up with all the texting & instant messaging ? I get nervous sometimes when I actually call someone thinking they would prefer a text, then what do you know? they don't answer, but text me back later.


As I sit here blogging about lazy mothers that don't get shit done due to the devil of the Internet. Let me tell you what you can't see thru the monitor... I have a can of beer sitting next to me, and I am looking at a dirty kitchen left over from dinner that was eaten over 3 hours ago. Ok, so i am guilty of this too, but I am recognizing it & have motivation to be this generations june cleaver. I will play with my kids. I will clean the house, I will get out of my pajamas and look nice, even if it means that no one sees me all day except my kids and the dog. I will be proud of myself. My kids and husband will be happy .... as will I .... as will I

1 comment: